The Essentials of Geopolitical Analysis
Dates : Friday 2 October – Saturday 3 October 2020
The objective of this seminar is to introduce the main components and tools of the geopolitical analysis method. A comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach is used that incorporates geographic, historical, cultural, economic, demographic and strategic dimensions to decipher the complexity of international relations, and to enable an in-depth diagnostic of the state of affairs in a given country or a region. An interactive geopolitical case study exercise is integrated in this seminar to illustrate the practical use of geopolitical analysis in day-to-day work. Completion of this seminar will help the participants to apply the geopolitical analysis method in different case situations and integrate geopolitical factors in decision making.
Download course document The Essentials_of_geopolitical_analysis_GIGS_Seminar
Target group of participants: Persons working for International Organizations and government agencies, diplomats, university students, people working in various economic sectors, and other interested individuals.
Schedule: Friday evening 6:30 PM – 9 PM
Saturday morning: 9:30 AM – 12:30PM
Saturday afternoon: 2:30 PM- 5 PM
Tuition fee : 450 CHF Students: 280 CHF
Application deadline: 18 September 2020
A Certificate of participation will be provided by GIGS
PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Develop the ability to apply the geopolitical analysis method in different case study situations;
- Assess the risks and opportunities entailed by geopolitical dynamics;
- Integrate geopolitical factors in decision making processes;
- Enhance critical thinking to assess media coverage on international events.
- Develop your professional networks and exchange views with course participants having different national, cultural and professional backgrounds.
THEMES AND STRUCTURE
- Introduction to Geopolitics
- Constant, Enduring and Variable Factors of Geopolitical Analysis
- Interactive Geopolitical Exercise: Analysis and Strategic Choices
Mr. Gyula Csurgai was born in Hungary. He holds Swiss citizenship and lives in Geneva. Dr. Csurgai earned five university degrees, obtained in three countries: Canada, France and Switzerland. Mr. Csurgai obtained his Doctorate from the University of Geneva. His doctoral research focused on the development of the geopolitical analysis method and its application in different case study situations. Ho holds Degrees in Political Science from the University of Concordia (Canada) and the University of Toulouse (France). Dr. Csurgai earned Postgraduate Degrees in European Studies from the European Institute at University of Geneva and from the Department of Philosophy from the same university. Mr. Csurgai has taught geopolitics, geoeconomics, strategy, international relations and diplomacy for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral programs at different universities in Switzerland and in other countries. He developed several university programs, organized international symposiums on different geopolitical issues and directed the publications of their proceedings. Dr. Csurgai has also developed training programs in geopolitics and geoeconomics for professionals working for the public service and private corporations in Switzerland and elsewhere. He has likewise participated in several international research projects and provided expertise to a number of international organizations, governments and private corporations. Mr. Csurgai has been guest lecturer or key-note speaker at numerous conferences and symposiums in Germany, Brazil, Canada, China, Curacao, France, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Russia and United States. Mr. Csurgai is the co-founder and Director of the Geneva Institute of Geopolitical Studies. He published several books and articles in the fields of geopolitics, geoeconomics, strategy and international relations.
His publications include :
- Geopolitical Analysis: A Multidimensional Approach to Analyze Power Rivalries in International Relations, Aracne Editrice, Rome. 2019.
- Conflicts in Urban Zones, Editions Polémarque, Nancy, 2013
- Geopolitics and Demography, Gyula Csurgai (ed.)., Penthes editions, Geneva, 2013
- Geopolitical and Geoeconomic Analysis of the S.W.F. Issue: Sovereign Wealth Funds and Power Rivalries, LAP, Germany, 2011
- Les enjeux géopolitiques des ressources naturelles (Geopolitical Stakes of Natural Ressources), L’Age d’Homme, Lausanne, 2006
- La nation et ses territoires en Europe centrale Une approche géopolitique, (The Nation and its Territories in Central Europe, A Geopolitical Approach) Peter LANG, Bern, 2005.
- Quelles perspectives géopolitiques pour l’Europe ? (What Are The Geopolitical Perspectives For Europe?) L’Age d’Homme, Lausanne, 2004.
- Géopolitique, religions et civilisations – quelles perspectives pour le XXI siècle ?, (Geopolitics, Religions and Civilisations – Which Perspectives for the 21st Century ?) L’Age d’Homme, Lausanne, 2003
Articles, book chapters and conference proceedings:
• The Increasing Importance of Geoeconomics in Power Rivalries in the 21st Century, Geopolitics, Volume 23 Issue 1, 2018.
• The Borders of Hungary in an Evolving Geopolitical Context, Geopolitical Yearbook, Bundeswehr, 2017.
• Geoeoconomic Strategies and Economic Intelligence in Advances in Geoeconomics, edited by J Mark Munoz, Routledge, 2017
• Les enjeux d’un conflit. Géopolitique de l’Ukraine (Stakes of a Conflict ; Geopolitics of Ukraine),, Choisir, Geneva, 2015.
• Geoeconomics and Competitive Intelligence and their Influences on Power Rivalries and Security”, National Defense University, Romania, Bucarest, 2013.
• From Nation-state to the Multinational State: Thoughts on the Concept and Practice of Autonomy and Self-government in Europe from a Geopolitical point of view”, published in International Seminar on Representativeness and Legitimacy in Autonomy Negotiations, Kingdom of Morocco, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, 2013
• Le rôle de l’Asie dans la réorientation stratégique actuelle des Etats-Unis : quelques considérations géopolitiques, (The Role of Asia in the Actual Strategic Re-orientation of the United States : Some Geopolitical Considerations), Revue Militaire Suisse, July 2012.
• Geopolitics, Economic Warfare and Access to Natural Resources, in Access to Resources and the International Community, A. Vautravers (ed), Webster University, Geneva, 2011 3
Identity Conflicts, Nationalism and Geopolitics in Central and South-East Europe, in Webster Security Forum, Webster University, Geneva, 2010
• Geo-Economic Rivalries of States, in Nigel Young (editor in chief), in The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace: Oxford, 2010
• Constant and Variable Factors of Geopolitical Analysis, in Geopolitics: Schools of Thought, Method of Analysis and Case Studies, Gyula Csurgai (ed.), Edition de Penthes, Geneva, 2009
• Sovereign Wealth Funds: Strategies of Geo-Economic Power Projections, in Otto Hieronymi (ed.), Globalization and the Reform of the International and Banking and Monetary System, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
• Geopolitics, Geo-Economics and Competitive Intelligence in Power Projection Strategies of the State in the 21st Century, in Conferência Nacional de Política Externa e Política Internacional – o Brasil no mundo que vem aí, Fundação Alexandre de Gusmão, Brasilia, 2008.
• The Use of Geopolitical Approach in Analyzing Contemporary Conflicts, in Globalization of Security Trends and Perspectives, Webster University, Geneva, 2008.
• L’idée républicaine en Europe Centrale, (Republican Ideology in Central Europe) in L’idée républicaine dans le monde, Ed. Emmanuel Dupuy et Paul Baquiast , Harmattan, Paris 2007.
• Composantes et caractéristiques de la stratégie de désinformation, (Constituents and characteristics of disinformation strategies) in Revue Militaire Suisse, Lausanne, March- April 2007.
• Quelques considérations sur les facteurs géopolitiques de la Suisse, (Some Considerations on the Geopolitical Factors of Switzerland) , in Revue Militaire Suisse, Lausanne, 2006.
• Les zones grises des Balkans, (Grey Zones in the Balkans) in Les zones grises dans le monde d’aujourd’hui, L’Harmattan, Paris, 2006.
• Geopolitics, Geoeconomics and Economic Intelligence, CISS, Canada, 1998.
If you need more information about this seminar, please contact GIGS
Tel: + 41 76 509 17 63